growing to love what I expected to hate and all the daily craziness surrounding the weather

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Yaktrax are wonderful!

One day, I said to L. (who is the reason I moved here, so keep that in mind as this story unfolds): "I wish I had something to put on the bottoms of my shoes so that I wouldn't slip on the ice that forms on sidewalks when those rude bitches don't shovel the snow right away."

L. said, "they do make something!" End of conversation as I remember it. I probably conjectured they were uncomfortable and expensive, cheap and pessimistic as I tend to be.

Then just the other day we saw a "missing Yaktrax" sign on a billboard in our neighborhood and the actual returned/found Yaktrax posted next to it.

I was astounded! It looks like an implement of torture folded up in its fetal position. Look!:

Sweet as pie she is, L. bought me some after I oohed and ahhed over the potential grippage I could obtain from such devices. Mine do not have the strap, but the rest is the same. Super cool. Rubber and wire brilliance, mmm.

Even though there happens to be more bare sidewalk out there than icy patches at this moment in the season, you better believe I wore them right away. They are so wonderful. I can walk very fast on slippery ice. I can be careless and hurried on my way somewhere. They are lovely devices. I do hope they last.

Minnesota is a crazy, cold place right now! And these are making my life more wonderful.

4 comments:

Lilith said...

Where did you get them? I've been meaning to get something like that -- my walk to work gets treacherous on some blocks. (Stupid absentee landlords...)

Sanguinetti A! said...

Ace Hardware. She says it's by your office.

Hugo Minor said...

Wow they look like bear traps. Any discomfort wearing them?

Sanguinetti A! said...

Snap snap on your bear trap!

They are a little tiny bit more wobbly than without them. Just a tad tidbit tiny bit. It's worth it.