growing to love what I expected to hate and all the daily craziness surrounding the weather

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Smells like a social worker, sounds like a social worker

On a more positive and less sarcastic note, I would like to mention that life here is on the up and up for me in a professional way. Social work school really did turn out to be a perfect fit. My internship this year has really turned out to be an ever-constant stimulant for nitty gritty learning and super-capable supervision. However weird much of this state does seem to me, it seems to be telling me in many other obvious ways that I fit.

It's like there was a Sanguinetti A! shaped hole in the universe and I was magnetically pulled toward it and *shlooooop!* in I fell.

I fit here. First, professionally I fit. Equally importantly, my needs for family and love and community are met like never before, too. Things are really quite great.

I'm writing this tonight because today I had my first real deal 90-minute therapy session all by myself with a client. It went quite well. I've done countless client interventions all semester, and I have learned a ton. This, however, feels like a big deal and a big step.

I'm on my way.

2 comments:

Hugo Minor said...

This is so good to read. I am happy you're in the right place.

Anonymous said...

and we're super happy to have you! and i say that as both a minnesotan AND a social worker. welcome to our tribe :-) and congrats for flying solo!