growing to love what I expected to hate and all the daily craziness surrounding the weather

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Polar bear plunge


I got the idea of my blog title from this post I read recently.

Link: via neatorama.

Oh god! If anything is worse than ice fishing this is.

L. and I went to the boundary waters recently (and we stayed in a cabin, not a tent, for the record) and the neighbor cabin folk had chainsawed a hole like this one in the ice in on the lake, presumably to do this very thing.

Oh, the horror! I am tough and bad and fun but, oh, goodness no.

Will this be something I eventually do and looking back on my reaction now and laugh at my unwillingness to be adventurous?

7 comments:

martha the singleton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

as a life long minnesotan, i may freely say that you won't polar bear plunge. i've never done it. hell, i've never been skiing. but i've lived in the tundra for a really long time. just because some people are silly, that doesn't mean you have to be!

Hugo Minor said...

You sent me this picture and I thought, could I do it? Just dunk in and get out? I would if there was some incentive that was attractive to me.

Lilith said...

I've done sauna-to-snowbank in -20°F, and that actually wasn't bad -- although I think 32° water would actually suck the heat out of your body a lot faster.

Anonymous said...

I've done sauna-to-snowbank-very-quickly-back-to-sauna in -20°F and I don't really want to do it again. I've lived here for over a decade and never seen or done the polar bear plunge. I do know at least three people who have done it. One of them advised me that if I ever thought about plunging I should wear wool socks as to not leave the bottom layer of your feet on the ice after you are wet.

Anonymous said...

The woman on the right, about to jump in is actually me. From someone who has taken the plunge, it is so much fun and so worth it. Though,to do it just for fun, I'd never do it. But we raised money for the special olympics, and as I had put it to the people I was asking money from, every dollar donated is another inch closer to the water. So for those of you saying, I'd do it for so much money, why not go with that, and instead of you getting the money, the special olympics. Plus, if you're on a team, it ends up being on hell of an after (or before you jump) party.

Sanguinetti A! said...

WOW! You did it! Completely amazing that you did it and that you found this post and that you let us all know about it! Very cool cause. I can see how the motivation helps, but I think I'm going to have to wait a few more years living here before even considering it.