growing to love what I expected to hate and all the daily craziness surrounding the weather

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Never before have I felt cold like this.

As you read this, remember: I moved to Minnesota LAST June.

At noon today it was -3 degrees. This is a first for me. Here's a list of amazingness just from this morning.

1. My hair froze within 2 seconds of going outside.

2. My nose hairs froze within 2 seconds.

3. L. said, "don't go to a car wash on a day like today." I said, "why not?" L. said, "because your locks and doors will freeze shut." I freaked out, of course.

4. When I said, "I've never felt this kind of cold before!" L. said, "I've been in -70 degrees." I said, shocked beyond belief, "WHERE!?" I was of course thinking she'd taken a trip to Antarctica I'd never heard about. "Here, in 1997," she said. To top it off, she was on crutches that day. So much for me whining about frozen hair.

5. I hear that if you boil water, and then throw it up in the air, that it will freeze before it hits the ground. If we actually do it, I'll post a video.

6. You can't clean your windshield until it's warm. Windshield wiper blades move the fluid around and then it freezes in a thin sheet. Then you are driving, and you can't see, and you crash. And the ambulance arrives and they ask you what happened and all you can say is, "California, California."

4 comments:

Nancy said...

ha ha ha! I love #6

You should also blow bubbles outside on a day like today. They freeze! It's so cool.

Sanguinetti A! said...

We actually tried that today! And, it didn't work :( We did it over pavement - is it better to do over snow?

Hugo Minor said...

I have NEVER heard of hair freezing. What a strange feeling?

Sanguinetti A! said...

I heard the frozen hair clicking on my jacket shoulder before I felt it. It just felt cold, it sounded click-y.