growing to love what I expected to hate and all the daily craziness surrounding the weather

Monday, February 18, 2008

what goes down might come up

Good thing about mood swings - if I'm down, I probably won't stay down.

Man, last week was hard. I definitely had a hint of the "want to slash my wrists and bleed all over the snow" through Saturday night. But Sunday changed everything.

Sunday: high was 37 degrees! Hardly any wind! Only partly cloudy, which means some sun! Sunday is my designated day off, so I didn't do anything related work or school or tax-filing.

Get this: 37 degrees and nothing to do. We walked 5 miles round trip to the conservatory where we soaked up GREEN VIBRANT LIFE, multiple blooming ORCHIDS, and tropical HUMIDITY. It was an excessively happy rendezvous.

It made me think, "I need to go outside and run. Often. Even when it's very cold. Even when it's snowing." The outdoor exercise alone restored my inherent sense of self, the active me I've optimized since I could ambulate. It was a delicious reminder. For me, the gym hasn't been cutting it. So, I either need to submit to the mindlessness of being a hamster, or buck up and become one of those people who forms icicles on my face from running outside.

On the way home, we walked through the fairgrounds and discovered some tree trunk sculptures. I thought this was one really odd -- it's good, but due to the size limitations of a tree trunk, the sculptor could only complete the first fourth of the horse. It's so wonderful and strange!

Only in Minnesota!

2 comments:

the last noel said...

I know how you feel. It get cold here in Los Angeles. It dipped below 70 degrees. Burrrrrrr.

Sanguinetti A! said...

frown!