growing to love what I expected to hate and all the daily craziness surrounding the weather

Sunday, February 10, 2008

It's Sunday and sunny and so we went to San Diego

Since Thursday, I've been incredibly emotionally fragile. As a future mental health practitioner, I see self-awareness of my swings as productive and also terrifying.

L. succinctly summarized what could be going on.

1. I'm taking a medication for six months because I was exposed to TB. One side effect is depression.
2. It's my first February in Minnesota. One side effect is depression.
3. I'm learning how to be a grief/crisis counselor. One side effect - unless you know what the hell you're doing and have vast experience - is depression.

One of the bedrooms gets flooded with sun between 9:30 am and 2:30 pm. If it's sunny out, which it hasn't been in days - until this morning! After breakfast we crawled into the bed in that bedroom, lowered the blinds as much as possible without peep-showing the neighborhood, and raised a yellow blanket up in front of our faces to reflect the sun on us.

It's about -10 degrees outside; wind chill is between -25 and -40. (I still haven't left the house today and don't have a clue as to what that feels like, yet.)

But before we lifted the blanket up, L. said, "you wanna go to San Diego?" I said, "YES!" And then she lifted the blanket up, smiled, closed her eyes and said, "I'm on the beach! In San Diego!"

It was the best part of my morning, hands down.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

It's so hard to make it through the winter. Even people who have lived through it their entire lives feel awful some or most of the winter. I love reading your descriptions of how it feels. It's painful to read because I don't want you to feel that way. But it's so honest and true. I hope it gets easier.