growing to love what I expected to hate and all the daily craziness surrounding the weather

Monday, March 17, 2008

Roller Garden ruckus!


We went roller skating yesterday afternoon at Roller Garden! It was intensely exciting and exhilarating. In the back of my mind, I've really wanted to try out for the MN Roller Derby team, but it's been quite awhile since I skated and I wasn't sure how realistic my dreams were.

I learned a few things in relation to this dream.

1. Confidence is key. (It's how I win arm wrestling time and time again. You just convince yourself you can do it, grimace intensely, and then you can.)

So, the first few go-arounds I was a little tentative of wobbling or falling. But then I just gave it my all and went FAST. Around and around and around... and then:

2. Roller skating is a killer on shin muscles! I'd be going around really fast and then my shins would BURN like I'd strapped a tiki torch to them. L. attested to the same sensation, though I think mine was worse. I felt majorly un-tough. So we'd stop and watch the others, then go back for more, and repeat cycle again. And then:

3. I realized that turning the corners really tight is very hard to do. Roller girls really get in there and turn sharply with that left skate. I had to keep balance with the left skate while I steered around the curve with the right skate.

This is obviously a skill that comes with practice, but it seemed to defy all physics laws when I even thought about trying it. Hmm.

All this is to say:

1. I'm even more interested in trying out for roller derby.
2. I'm even more impressed with the athletic abilities of the roller girls. (Turning your head can make you lose your balance, and they skate while looking back all the time. Amazing!)
3. I need real skates with real support if I'm gonna keep trying this. Chuh ching! That's easily $100 for my next hobby!

Much fun was had by all.

p.s. to the locals: the next roller derby bout is this weekend with a Polka band as halftime entertainment. Don't miss it!!!

No comments: