growing to love what I expected to hate and all the daily craziness surrounding the weather

Thursday, May 8, 2008

9 days

Since you all took the bait, I'll keep on the drinking theme. There's more to the conversation that usually occurs. I'll spell it all out.

someone nice and generous (snag): "Want something to drink? We have wine, beer, tequila?"
sweet me (sm): "No thanks."
snag: "You sure? Just a glass? We've got Oberon!"
sm: "Um, no thanks... I'll have water?"
snag: "You driving?"
sm: "No. Well, yes. And meds. I'm trying to avoid liver toxicity."
snag: "Oh! That's too bad!"
sm: "It's fine. I'll be done in X months/weeks/days."
snag: "And then you can drink!" (raises glass into air) "In time for summer!"

I haven't figured out what to say at this point that accurately communicates my feelings. I usually just say, "Well, I'll wait awhile and let my liver recover from the meds first." That's true. The feeling, though, is about the resistance to drinking just because I can. I can't figure it out. But what I want to say is:

sm: "Multiple family members are/were alcoholics/addicts. So, I'm not a big drinker to begin with. It's the last thing I'm thinking about. The first thing I'm thinking about is how glad I will be to not have to take a freaking antibiotic everyday for a condition that presents no symptoms. And I can also stop worrying about my mood swings being a result of the medications, and I can start believing that it's all in my head instead. Going back to multiple family members being alcoholics - maybe that's why I'm moody. Or maybe everyone's moody and some people just hide it better. What do you think?"

I'm way too nice and inhibited for my own good most of the time. Minnesota nice is doing a real number on me. I'm breaking through, I am, I am.

5 comments:

Sornie said...

Minnesota Nice is a total sham. I am living proof of it.

Anonymous said...

i went through about a year without really drinking and it really bugged people. i remember people saying that if they were drinking and i wasn't than it made them feel like they were heathens.

you can not drink with me any time, i'm already a heathen!

Sanguinetti A! said...

Yay for heathens and Minnesotans without the Nice.

Anonymous said...

I sincerely apologize if I offended you...and that's not just lip service cuz I'm neither nice nor Minnesotan.

Sanguinetti A! said...

No, Xanthia, no offense at all. You were just present for the most recent example I could come up with. Many more insistent folks came before then.